I absolutely adore the Facebook ‘memories’ feature. Almost every day, I get to see a cute picture of the Ladybug or the Sprout from their younger years, thank you Facebook. There are memories of friends I’ve lost touch with, vague status updates that I have try and decipher (sorry about those), and the funny ones from the beginning of Facebook when we had to get creative because every status had to start with ‘Kelli is…’
I love the memories because it’s a bit of diary. It’s fun to look back on where you were and what you were doing on this day- one, two, five, eight years ago. A couple of days ago, on February 20, Facebook told me that in 2009 I filled out a ‘survey’ called ’25 Things I’m Obsessed With Right Now.’ I don’t remember filling it out, but I could tell you a lot about my life from that post. In case you’re curious, here it is:
25 Things Kelli is Obsessed with Right Now
February 20, 2009 at 9:23am
1. Chap stick, but that’s always true. If I don’t have at least 2 with me, I get nervous.
2. Text Twist. Now that Dave’s discovered it, I have to defend my title!
3. The Crime and Investigation Channel. I just can’t stop watching it!
4. Guatemala- can I please go now?!
5. Lychee-tini’s, but that’s just because I’m going to have some soon.
6. Foot massages. I don’t have to explain that at all.
7. Eggs on a slice of cheese toast for breakfast. Mmmm!
8. My bank account- I check it every day and double check that all the bills are being paid.
9. Jen cause I haven’t heard from her in two weeks.
10. Thoughts of throwing all of Vinnie’s instruments, including the piano, out the non-existent basement windows.
11. Stripey socks. I want… nay NEED more.
12. Cutting my hair- every weekend I want to do it but I’m scared I’ll look a little too butch.
13. Learning to knit- I haven’t started but I’m counting down to my first lesson!
14. Cute clothes- I don’t actually own any and wouldn’t know what to wear if I did, but I want some.
15. Fake bags- I know it’s bad but they’re so cheap!
16. Sequence- love that game! I want to play it every night with Dave.
17. Going home- I’m ready. Come on June!
18. Q & A- I love the book but I am reading it so slowly because I don’t want to finish it!
19. Trying to stay veg… I’ve got to admit, O’Malley’s chicken nuggets and pepperoni pizza might do me in!
20. Starting to write my book. I think about it every day and try to plan out the best approach.
21. Skype! I love finding people on there and wish all my friends would download it so we could talk!! It’s free… just a bit of advertising there!
22. My house in Villa Rica- I can’t wait to get back and fix it up!
23. I’m also obsessed with thoughts of being able to let the dogs out into a backyard for potty time instead of taking them out.
24. I wonder constantly why people I haven’t talked to in YEARS add me on Facebook then never talk to me here either. It seems pointless.
I was living in Shanghai and we had already accepted our positions in Guatemala. We had just bought the house. We had our little Rugby. The Rugby Star and I were newlyweds. There were no children. I was mostly a vegetarian.
The Facebook post got me wondering what I am obsessed with right now, so I decided that I will update. And because I’m linking up to #ExpatTuesday, I’ll try and make it somewhat expat focused… but I can’t promise anything.
So, in no particular order:
25 Things Kelli is Obsessed With Right Now-
The Expat Edition
- Chapstick- I cannot find the brand name Chapstick here. I stockpile it in the summer, the way I used to do with books (this is totally expat related because it has happened with so many things over the years; tampons are first and foremost- you can’t find those anywhere! I also do all of my clothes shopping in the summer because it’s too expensive or they don’t have my size in my host country).
- Our impending move to Belgrade. We just got our first ‘here’s what you have to do’ email, which is always exciting and stressful.
- Photography. I signed up to Clickin Moms and have started trying some classes and breakouts. I’m lucky enough to get to travel the world- I want my photos to be as amazing as I can make them!
- Going home. It’s that time of the year- there’s too much time between now and summer. It’s been too long since I’ve seen my family in person.
- Getting all the ‘outside’ things done in Bahrain. It’s about to get hot. I need to step up my sight-seeing game before it becomes melting weather.
- Bananagrams. The Rugby Star and I don’t play enough because we’ve both been busy, but this is our new favorite game.
- Words with Friends. This is totally expat related because I am playing with friends from all over the world. And I know it will be a way to stay in touch when some of us have said our goodbyes this June.
- Shaun T. I have not exercised in about a month, but the middle school play I’m directing is over in a week and I’m counting the moments until I can FOCUS with Shaun T again.
- Clean eating. I don’t do it all the time, but I am totally obsessed.
- Knitting. Now that we’re moving to a cold climate, I’m picking out the hats and scarves I’ll be making for the girls and The Rugby Star… and myself. I’m so excited for winter clothes again! For now, I’m rebuilding my skills with these cute little Monster Chunks from Rebecca Danger.
- Massages. Hannah at Beauty Spot gives the most amazing massages! I won’t go if she’s not available. And Connie does a combination hair treatment/head massage that lasts for more than 30 minutes. It’s like a little bit of heaven here on earth. Finding these gems in a foreign country make life more livable sometimes.
- Turkish lamps. I might’ve accidentally bought another one, bringing the total to three. I have a problem.
- The Ladybug’s 5th birthday party. She has some very specific requests. I am doing my best to fulfill some of them. Keep your fingers crossed that the Bahrain Toys R Us has some My Little Pony stuff.
- Auntie L. Knowing that our time is limited, I want every day to be a couch day. I wonder if my kids would miss me if I just moved in with her? Or is that too much? Did I just take it too far?
- My Sissy’s wedding! She asked me to be her Matron of Honor… I said yes! This is one of those times when I really, really wish I lived at home because I would really love to be helping her plan this together, not from across the ocean!
- Candy Crush (hangs head in shame).
- Audio books.
- WKHX out of Atlanta- because I can stream it now!!
- ‘Once Upon A Time’- I’m almost caught up on Netflix and I’m wondering what I’m going to do with my life when I have.
- My middle school-teaching day. Currently, I have one school day where I teach only high school girls and one day where I only teach middle school boys. The boy day makes me so anxious because one of the groups of kids is notorious for getting in trouble. So far, they’ve been great, but it doesn’t stop me wondering when they’re going to get bored and start acting out. It’s an anxious obsession.
- Spending quality time with the girls- school is so exhausting right now that I feel like I don’t get enough good, quality time with the girls. I must, MUST rectify this.
- Spending quality time with the Rugby Star (I should probably change his nickname, seeing as he’s not even playing rugby now… I’ll think on it and get back to you). See Number 21.
- Lanterns- an Indian restaurant that opened across the street last year. It’s delicious. I try to eat it once a week.
- Active Wear, both the song and the actual clothing. It’s a step up from coming home and getting in my pajamas, but Auntie L still wants to slap me.
- My blog. It’s replaced the book for now… and maybe for all time. I haven’t made a decision.
So there you have it- the 2016, Expat (sort of) Edition of 25 Things Kelli is Obsessed With Right Now.
What are you obsessed with right now?